Sunday 22 July 2012

Almost there......

10 months ago I had an idea that I'd push myself as far as I could and I'd enter an ultra distance race in 2012.


I'm 8 weeks away from fulfilling that goal.........


The big question now, even before I've finished this one, is what next?


Over the last month, training has been getting pretty intense with runs, much more cycling and combination run/cycle sessions.


Having bought a book called Scotland Mountain Biking, The Wild Trails by Phil McKane, I wanted to test myself.
Glen Finglas


So on successive days I managed a 30k Red Grade followed by an 18k Red Grade with a run/gym session on the same day.


Overtraining?  In fact the biggest risk I face is getting injured by being a little too 'adrenaline junkie' on the downhill sections - as evidenced when I got careless on Innerleithen XC trail and ended up 3m from the track with my bike on top of me!  


Bike wheel visible just left of the tree on right hand side of pic!


The view from where I fell!
























Fortunately only a cut knee, bruised testicle and bent brake lever.....as well as severely dented pride......was the damage!


Some of the logistical elements of the challenge are now coming together.  Kit is being gathered, tested and weight.  The route is being examined - what kit will I use on what section? Where will I transition from run to bike and what can I leave at transition for either pick or up drop?


 
But by far the biggest challenge I still have to face is the mental preparation.  I've learnt enough about myself now to know that I'll go off too quick and as a result, get tired sooner than planned and end up battling with myself and my negative thoughts and not enjoy it.


A lot of the training now is maintaining fitness and preparing for the pace I need to go at, which is slower than I've been training at thus far.  It's by far the most difficult thing I've encountered!


I am heeding this warning!
The next 3 weeks are quite exciting though as we are away camping again in the North West Highlands as a family - bike and trainers will be making the journey too!  The following week I am then walking Hadrian's Wall with my Dad - more nights under canvas!  Again, bike and trainers will be going with me!
Top of Minch Moor
Glentress - gorgeous day!




















To keep me focused on my biggest challenge...my mind.....I've started to collect positive statements and put them on a board to embed them into my psyche over the coming weeks.  Here's a few of the top ones
so far!
  • I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I'm done!
  • Don't look at how far I've got to go, look at how far I've come!
  • If I think I can't, I won't! If I believe I can, I've got a chance!
  • No matter how hard it gets, how cold and wet I am, how tired I feel- it will pass.
  • I am making things happen.  I've turned a dream into reality, bloody well enjoy it or the last 10months will have been for nothing!
  • I won't let myself finish where I began.  I have something more important than courage, I have belief and patience.  I will become what I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment