Sunday 9 September 2012

T minus 5! The Final Preparations.....

5 days to go before Coast to Coast challenge.

11 months training, planning, preparing and dieting comes down to just 5 days before I compete.

Last 3 weeks have been a little less organised than I'd like, with life having its on way of putting additional challenges in the way as if 105 miles wasn't enough!

Lots of running completed with cycling before/after and some general core conditioning.

Most challenging moment was doing the Glen Tilt mountain bike trail on 27th August.  35 miles of howling winds, torrential rain, flash floods and river crossings (with bike) that were chest deep!  

Kit bag is now slowly being filled, bike has been serviced and cleaned, all kit tested and barring some last minute additions, tweaks and final check - I'm ready.

I cycled 23 miles today to visit a sports therapist for a massage and some physio as my left knee has been sore since Glen Tilt.  Apparently I have a medial ligament strain and my general muscle condition was 'extremely knotted'.......perhaps my preparation hadn't been as thorough as I had thought!!

But I'm ready, fired up and gonna do this!  Target time (it's published now so I've gotta do it!) was originally to finish.  But now I want to do it under 14hours.  12 would make me happy, 10 would make me deliriously happy!

A last bit of reflection on the journey to this point and what are the top things I have learnt?

  • The body is capable of doing more than you think.  The mind will give up before the body so train your mind as much as you train your body!
  • No matter how much planning you do, expect the unexpected and be prepared to adapt and overcome.
  • Support can come from many sources, don't dismiss anyone who shows interest or wants to help as they quite often can be the real heroes!
  • To train for events like this when you have family is incredibly selfish and requires their total, unwavering and unequivocal support.  If you don't have it you either lose your family or don't train enough to compete.
  • A diet of Starbucks Venti Skinny Wet Latte's and an evening meal ain't enough!
  • Enjoy the journey.............
I'm done.  There are so many people I owe so much to for being where I am right now.  Too many to list right now but post event I will blog a list of those special individuals who have gone 110miles to help me do 105!

As I write, I am still recieving donations via www.justgiving.com/martin-kelly1 and have smashed my target for this year.  

Has it been worth it?  Hell yes!  No matter what next weekend brings even to be at this point is electrifying!

And will it end there?  Hell No!  Already got an ultra marathon in my sights for next year so this blog will continue............................

No comments:

Post a Comment