Sunday 2 March 2014

It's Only An Excuse!

Just under 8 weeks to go until the HOKA Highland Fling 53mile ultramarathon.....the first of 2014 for me and hopefully my first 2 UTMB qualification points!

How ironic that I read an article entitled '15 Trail Running Excuses' as well this week.

Trail running, road running, exercise, work, life, relationships.......I'm sure we can all thing of plausible rationales we've come up with in our time to justify not achieving what we wanted to, or doing what we said we will.

But in all honesty, does it really matter if we don't achieve our goal?

Well yes, it does, but only to ourselves and those we committed to or who were dependent on us doing it.

Time is one of the most common reasons people give for not doing enough to get to where they want to be.


  • 'I didn't have enough time to train because........'
  • 'My time spent doing this was interrupted by/because.......'
  • 'Something urgent came up and I had to use the time to do that instead......'
So there are 2 choices.  Adjust the expectation we set for ourselves and others, or create more time.  Don't know about you, but if I could find a way to increase the hours in a day to greater than 24 I am not sure I would like that!

Instead, I'd much prefer to look at how I do spend my time and see what is taking me away from the things I determined to be important to me.

One of the things I've had to do to avoid the situation of letting myself, and more importantly others down, is to each week set a plan and then make sure I keep to it, barring any emergencies.

This includes planning rest and sleep - it'd be too easy to plan 24hrs of activity a day but as we all know, rest is a key component to any training or physical endeavour.

The other major driving factor for keeping me on track with my plan is having an exceptionally strong reason WHY.

In the case of HOKA Highland Fling, doing it for myself and my dream of the UTMB qualification was good, but to do it and raise charitable funds for a good cause is something else!  So that's what I'm doing.

Rhys is a little boy who is the Nephew of a friend.  He has to go to Florida to receive life saving radiotherapy after being diagnosed with a brain tumour just before Christmas 2013 and having surgey to remove 95% of it on 29th December.  The last 5% needs treatment through radiotherapy.

But this will take 3 months and his family need to be with him at that time...so the goal is raise £25k of funds to enable them to travel and stay with him during this time.

As a Father I can only imagine what is going through his parent's minds right now. 

I don't have any skills or anything of value or contacts that I can use to make this better for them or to offer my services to raise funds.

But what I can do is promote the cause and use my efforts to generate more interest, fundraising and sponsorship for this exceptional family.

Endurance - sticking to the job in hand when the going gets tough.  I think this family are demonstrating the true meaning of endurance and Rhys's Auntie, who is driving the fundraising, is showing stamina beyond all bounds!

But with such a powerful reason to do this, wouldn't we all??

If you'd like to know more OR get involved and help, please find more information on Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/rhys.stars.and.moon

Or you can make a donation here:

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/3gbif

No comments:

Post a Comment