Sunday 4 March 2012

Flexibility, not just bendiness!

If there is one word that sums up the last week for me it has to be FLEXIBILITY! I don't just mean stretching and whether I can wrap my legs around my ears.....I mean being able to adapt to changes out of my control as well. After a 'dig deep' 16k last Sunday, I hit the treadmill on Tuesday night for an interval session. Felt more sluggish than a slug on a diet of 'ish'! Not a happy bunny and worried I might have overdone the training in previous weeks. Wednesday night 'run club' postponed too due to combination of illness and too much work. On Thursday I decided against training for two reasons. First I had been at my Daughters' parents evening at school. Both had done so well and I wanted to have tea with them. The second was I just couldn't get my motivation. So as I approached Friday and the weekend, I was dreading the runs as I felt they'd be poor. Turns out on Friday I was so pumped up with not really having any good runs that week I ran just 30secs outside my PBS for 10k. Then earlier today, I set out on a 15k easy run and felt so good I kept going, recording a half marathon in 1hr 57m 24s. My PB! Well it would be seeing as it was the first time I had run that far! There had been so much going on this week that to try and stick rigidly to a schedule and be demotivated when it failed would have been disastrous to my confidence. Instead I've finished the week on a high, feeling like I've met all my targets and more importantly kept my work commitments and been there for the most important people in my life, my wife and kids. Just 2 weeks now until I compete in my first challenge of £2012 in 2012 for Erskine. The mighty Deerstalker on 17th March is looming and then it is just 8 weeks to my half marathon! I WILL be registering this week for the Scotland Coast to Coast in Sept, my ultra adventure covering 105m in 2 days. Feel I might need a whole lot of FLEXIBILITY before this year is out. Keep running and keep smiling. M

No comments:

Post a Comment