Sunday 25 March 2012

Running uphill...........and for Sport Relief!

After last weekend's surprise exertions with the Mighty Deerstalker being a tad hard than expected, Sunday was a 'rest day' spent with family.

Usually its my long run day typically starting at 8am.  By the time we'd got to 4pm I felt a needed a 'loosener' so hit the treadmill with my relatively new half marathon trainers on (bit more cushioning for my weightiness given my others had done 500miles now!) and a target of 5km steady.

At 5km I was feeling good so kept going, even thinking of hitting 10km.  But as 7km loomed, so too did common sense and I eased off and went for some stretching followed by a spell in the steam room.

And boy did I feel it on Monday still........my thighs were agony despite being iced on both Saturday and Sunday - long time since I had post exercise soreness!

Definately a rest day on Monday!  No argument from my legs!

So on Tuesday night I decided to have a run at an incline to keeping building what had been started - no way I was letting this pain go without getting benefit!

Treadmill started, decide to go for 8km all on incline and set the treadmill at 1.5%.  Think I'll maybe up it to 2% at about 6km.  But those that follow me or know me will know that taking things steady is really hard for me despite knowing better.  So at 4km the incline is at 2.5%, by 6km we're at 3.5% and at 7km for 500m its at 4.5%.  You'd think I'd slow the speed down wouldn't you? Yeah, if I had any common sense.

The great thing was that for the last 500m when I set the incline at 1% it felt like I was running downhill!  I think this might just be a new fave run-set!

No run now until Saturday as working away on Thursday and plans with family on Friday.

Saturday morning - want to test my progress so decided to do a time trial 10km.  Previous PB was 55:14.

Vicky (aka Mrs K) brings me a coffee and breakfast in bed!  I get up and 40mins later I'm in the gym on the treadmill targetting my best 10km.  51:48 later I'm done and over the moon! 

It's true what is said about taking a few days off and coming back stronger.  If anything, this is making me seriously look at the 'tapering' of my sessions before races.

Long lie on Sunday as we have the Sport Relief Mile with our daughters, Lauren 9 and Georgia 7.  We did it 2 years ago in 11:30 and whilst it's a bit of fun.......time is important too........but the most important thing is our kids enjoy the experience of being active and running.

The hottest March day on record in Glasgow - beautiful weather and we're near the front.  Lauren's got her Ipod on and Georgia's doing her usual quiet thing just before she attempts anything.

Off we go on a steady climb for 400m in the centre of Glasgow, turning sharply right for 300m downhill and then a series of lefts and rights for the next 900m.  The girls are setting the pace with Vicky and I tagging along.  And its some pace!  The more people they overtake, the quicker they go!

They cross the line in..............wait for it.............9mins 35seconds!  For a measured mile!  2minutes off their last mile PB.  And neither of them look particularly tired!

As the weather gets better, we're going to do a minimum of a mile together each weekend to keep the momentum and share our running together!  Lauren even talked about wanting to enter the Great Scottish Junior Run 1.5k later this year and run it herself!




The reward for the two of them.........apart from getting a photo with the lovely Jenni Falconer (I was too embarrased to ask her to pose for one with me!), was a well deserved ice cream!

So only 3 training runs this week and one family run - but possibly one of the best weeks ever because of seeing my girls run and achieve a fabulous time!


No comments:

Post a Comment