Saturday 14 April 2012

Best 'Before' Date - no preservatives or additives!

From what I have read and heard, everyone who trains for anything at some stage finds themselves feeling 'stale'.


I don't mean getting a little hard around the edges and a bit dry like a loaf of bread.  It's that feeling that you are past your 'best' and on the downward slope.


Knowing yourself and your body well enables you to identify the 'plateauing' of performance early and taking steps to keep the upward momentum.


However, for the likes of myself, it was a bit of a surprise when I looked back over recent training outputs and didn't see continued improving results. This cannot be the best I can be!  There is more I can do I know it! Please let there be something I can do to change things round!


So, some serious internalising this week to dig deep and find a pathway upwards.  Conclusions:

  1. It's not my training plan or equipment.
  2. My mental preparation has taken a back seat - the feel good factor has dropped!
  3. My nutritional preparation is awful!

Time for action!


I've been so focused on myself for last few weeks I had lost sight of what motivates me and pushes me on - helping others to make a difference and to help them become the best they can be.  Trying to be a role model for others gives a much stronger sense of responsibility that drives me to remain consistent and to push myself hard.




www.erskine.org.uk
As a result, I've got a visit to Erskine Hospital (veterans charity I am fundraising for) planned for 25th April to discuss fundraising and my role as General Council member.










I've also signed up to be our local Cub Scout Leader as they had no volunteers!  This way I get to work with young boys and girls to shape their values and beliefs to be good citizens!  Mental preparations back on track!!!




So what about nutrition?  I don't eat breakfast, I don't eat lunch, drink too much coffee and only consider my body fuel the week before a big event. 


Yeah, that strategy will do me for the 105mile adventure race in September this year!


I spent 5 hours this morning at a seminar and training session on nutrition and wellness.  I went with the intention of seeing what I could learn and then bring back to my training.


4 hours after getting home, I'm on the phone and signing up to be a Personal Wellness Coach!  How did that happen?  Well, its the fact that this fits so much into my mental preparation AS WELL AS giving me a much needed boost and discipline for my physical preparation - what have I got to lose?  Nothing!


Training this week - 36km covered in 4 runs, including a 10k hill run, 7k tempo session and today after my nutrition session, a 12k cycle/6k run duathlon!


I've learnt this week that:

  • It's too late to keep upward progress if you aren't listening to your body and adapting training!
  • Don't let your mental preparation slip - its as important as your physical preparation!
  • You can prepare mentally and physically, but if you don't fuel your mind and body the right way and at the right time, there is no point in doing anything!
Am looking forward to sharing the progress over coming month as I get these changes embedded into my routine.  Who knows, I might even inflict one of those 'before' and 'after' photos!  Don't all stop reading this blog now............

If you want to know more, leave a message below and I'll be in touch!


No comments:

Post a Comment