Thursday 3 May 2012

Quality versus Quantity?

Yes, the age old debate of quality versus quantity!
Applicable just to running?  Work?  Food? Life?  No, I'm beginning to reach the conclusion that where quality counts, no amount of quantity can overcome poor quality.

As I enter the last 4 weeks before the Edinburgh Half Marathon and for the first time have to seriously consider 'tapering' my training, I'm now being forced to concentrate on better sessions but fewer miles.

At first it was a bit of a culture shock and I felt I was slacking, but after 2 good shorter sessions but of high intensity, I'm feeling more comfortable. Quality, quality, quality!

Then there is the small matter of fundraising for Erskine.  I got a massive pyschological boost this week when C Company, 1st Scots did an impromptu whip round and raised £300 on my behalf as sponsorship.  The quantity was irrespective, the fact that serving soldiers were keen to support me was truly humbling.  These are the men and women for whom we owe so much and yet they are the ones who are also showing their support for those of us trying to help their comrades.  Whilst I am grateful for all support and sponsorship, this one sent a shiver down my spine!

The last 2 weeks has also seen me focus hard on getting better nutrition into my body.  So much so, I've lost 7lbs in weight, 4% body fat and 1" on my waist!  Getting high quality carbs, protein and vitamins into my 'engine' is paying off as well!

And to cap it all off, quality of life..........well, I dont think I've been this happy in a long time.  I'm spending more time with my kids, my relationship with Vicky just keeps getting stronger and yet we are all so busy doing things that make us feel good we hardly sit still for 5minutes!  And none of us are 'shattered' in fact its the contrary, we're full of energy!

Last Sunday, Vicky was studying so the kids and I had a full day together.  We hardly spent a penny but had 5 or 6 hours of good quality fun at the play park, skate park, cycling, picnic and reading. 

So the next time someone says 'More, faster, quicker, harder' asnd you're not in an intimate situation ;-), question the value this will give you towards your goals for the effort its going to cost you!

True happiness and wellness comes when you no longer crave what you want because you have all you need! Martin Kelly, May 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment