Wednesday 15 February 2012

A question of motivation

When you set out on any journey, the excitement that comes from the planning, the preparation and the vision of achievement is all consuming. Depending on your level of realism, all too quick the drain of the journey itself can erode the passion and excitement you felt at the start. Over the years, in my professional life and my personal one, a mantra I have tried and not yet mastered to achieve is to enjoy the journey, not just the goal. On Sunday I set out my plan for this week. When Tuesday came, I was not in the game. I was tired from work, slightly down for missing my long run on Sunday and generally looking for any excuse not to run or to cut it short. Then, on my journey to the gym for a treadmill session, I saw that Chris McDougall, author of Born to Run, had retweeted my blog! WOW! Not only that, but I had new twitter followers and some great messages! Food for the mojo! So I hit the treadmill, still feeling sluggish, but set my start speed slightly higher than normal and told myself to just grind out this 10km. 5k in and I realise I'm feeling okay, my mid is clearing, I'm on track for a good time and could push to average 5.30 per km. 2km to go and I'm just loosening up- so I crank up the speed and push hard for the final 1km. Nike plus (my in-run coach) tells me I'm there. I hear my time, then I hear the voice of Lance Armstrong telling me I have just set a new PB for 10km. I check the time against my previous best- 30 secs better! During my stretch off afterwards I reflect on how I did this as I set out feeling lousy. In simple terms, getting a few like mixed souls who knew me only from social media give me encouragement for my journey, together with a reality check to be disciplined and grind it out pushed me to do what an hour earlier I wouldn't have dreamed of. I was physically capable, but mentally needed some assistance. And fortunately for me there were those around to help. So every opportunity I get to do this for others I'm gonna pass it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment