Sunday 12 February 2012

Why blog about running?

As not someone who you would ordinarily assume to be a runner, my wife suggested I start a blog for 2012 to share my ex experiences as I try to improve my own fitness and my running. So here it is, the first instalment.... Having always struggled to run any distance or speed, even when I was in the army, it was strange that when injury forced me to lay off rugby for a while that I turned to the treadmill to keep my weight under control. That was 3 years ago. A 1.5km run would take me over 12 mins and I'd have to run/walk to get round. As I start this blog, I've run the Great Winter Run in Edinburgh twice and the Edinburgh Great Run 10k once. This year, I'm aiming for a sub 2hr 10m half marathon and to complete the Scotland Coast to Coast 105mile bike/run course in September. My inspiration? Born To Run by Chris McDougall. I won't bore you with the review here but needless to say it has changed my life and health! Definitely a recommended read! Im currently running 3 to 4 times a week and embarking on my half marathon training....something I didn't think I would ever do. Why? As a natural stress and adrenaline junkie, running gives me an escape....somewhere I can lose myself in my own thoughts, just think through the crap that is happening around me or simply day dream.....something I never allow myself to do any other time! In short, running not only makes me stronger physically, it makes me stronger mentally! So for anyone looking for a simple, natural, relatively cheap and hugely beneficial pastime for either 20mins a day or a couple of hours.....consider running.

No comments:

Post a Comment